Monday, February 11, 2008

Year Check Up

The babies had their year check-up today. As always, nothing is easy for them, but I am glad health care if free and that we have doctors who take good care of us. So here are the stats...

Logan is 28.2 in long (5%) and 18 lb 3 oz (below 5%). The doctor called him a failure to thrive baby because he stopped gaining weight. She has him seeing a nutritionist and starting on pediasure also. We are supposed to go back on Wednesday for some blood work and then she is going to decide is she wanted to test him for cystic fibrosis or not. I think he is just little like Trent, but looking at the charts, I can see her worry. He once again failed the developmental milestone survey she gave me (he fails every time). It is just a small screening to see if the child needs to see the early development people. But since he already sees them, she was not to worried.

Laycee is 28.4 in (10%) and also 18 lbs 3 oz (8%). She is progressing well, however she is not problem free. She also failed her milestone survery (I don't know what child passes lol) but once again, that is the least of her worries. For a while, we have been monitoring her cafe au lait spots (brown birthmarks). She was born with 2. Well at 9 months, she had 4 and now she has 7. Anything over 5 can be an indication of a neurological disorder. She also has a small nodule on her spine which is also an indicator. Anyway, she was supposed to have an eye test done in December, but they never called me. If she has the disorder, it will also show up in the eyes. But she isn't really due for the test until april. So, in April, I have to take her back to Germany because if they feel the need, they will also do another MRI, which is the only way to really determine if she has the disorder. Our post does not have MRI capabilities and it is not easy to do at the Italian hospital becasue they don't like to sedate children. So... looks like I will be visiting Germany again soon. If you want to read more about the disorder we are watching for.... here is a website. http://children.webmd.com/neurofibromatosis-type-1-nf-1 I think she is fine, but you can never be to careful.

None of their current problems are related to being born at 36 weeks or their hospitalization at 2 weeks. They were both cleared of that tramatic time. Their issues now are just part of being babies. Their development is just because Logan is slow and I like to do a lot for them because it is easier for me. And their other medical problems are just things that any baby could have. So, all in all, they are mostly healthy, there are just a few things that we are still monitoring for both of them.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

we will keep them in our prayers. they look like they are doing great! we miss you and i love this so i can see pics and see all the updates and get filled in.

Nancy said...

I'm surprised they want to test logan for CF. Don't they realize that it is a disease where the body doesn't produce the enzyme that breaks down mucas? If our kids had CF, they would be choking, coughing, and wheezing all the time. Sheesh! Let me know if you decide to get the test for Logan and I'll reschedule ours. We were supposed to go yesterday but there was a "miscommunication" with the TMO driver that was supposed to take us so we missed our appointment. Needless to say, we stood outside the Health Clinic at 7 a.m. (thermometer said -1) waiting. I was furious and since our tire was half flat & the navigator was malfunctioning, I wasn't about to drive to Verona myself for a test for a genetic disease that I do not carry, therefore Jaron CANNOT have! Thanks for the venting session.

Anonymous said...

Lexi,

I'll be praying for your Little One's. Sometimes doctors can be so scarey. It sounds like you aren't worried and that is a good thing. You have to have faith and stay positive. I bet they are just little like you said. Mine are two little peas.

Thinking of you,
Billena

Angela said...

I'm sorry the MD's are adding anxiety to your full life...I guess its better safe than sorry, but still. Just know that they are in God's hands, and God loves them even more than you do.

If it makes you feel better, Finn also has a "failure to thrive" tag because he was 16.12 lbs at his one year, so not even on the chart and 21 inches, maybe (I can't remember)????* but he is meeting most of the milestones on the list, so I don't know why the MD was so worried-sigh* we are seeing a nutritionist too, and basically we are adding butter and cream to everything. I felt overwhelmed and cried a bit about it (the MD was mean and accused me of starving my child) but the nutritionist helped me feel better. I will continue to keep them in my prayers, and know you are not alone.

PS I stole your idea and most of your application ideas and started my own blog, I can email you the address if you want.

Miss you!
Angela