Thursday, January 13, 2011

Homeschooling

Its been a little while since I have updated on how school is coming along. I have to admit that most days I love it. There are some days that I just wish I didn't have to find the patience to teach the kids, but most days, I love it. I have really come to enjoy that our life doesn't revolve around school. Sounds ironic since I have a pretty strict school schedule. However, I find that we do school for 2-4 hrs and then we move past school for the day and enjoy our day. No rushing to eat breakfast and get out the door. No rushing home from an errand to meet the bus. No fighting for an hour through homework. Most importantly, there is no thought of school during the "busy" time of day (you all know... the 3-6 pm hours where you are trying to get dinner done and the little kids are cranky). So, we seem to be really loving homeschooling. I don't know what next year will bring, but for now, we are enjoying the extra time together.
So I have been really excited about teaching Haylee math lately. She has begun multiplication and is now learning the Identity Property of Mulitplication and the Zero Property of Multiplication. She has been learning very interesting things about mixtures, compounds, heat, temperature and energy. Below is a picture of her recent science project. I find phonics especially interesting because there are so many rules of the English language that I never learned!!
Trent is working on his latest art project here. He has been studying the English picture Pinkie by Lawrence and with that, he is learning about portraits. Today he learned about the symmetry of a self portrait and he used a mirror to creat an image of himself.


Trent has also been reading very interesting stories about different neighborhoods and communities. He learned a lot about Chinatown in a recent story he read. I love watching him do math. He is a whiz. He has started borrowing and carrying for addition and subtraction as well as learning how to organize and interpret data.

I figured since it has been a while since I have updated, today I wanted to document some fun things they have been working on. Not everyday is fun. Some days getting, math for Haylee and composition for Trent, work done if very difficult. Some days, we do not see smiles in the classroom. But most days, we love it. Trent says he wants to be homeschooled again and Haylee says she loves me as a teacher. Its been a fun learning experience and I enjoy spending that time with the kids.



1 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank you for this post. It gave me and extra nudge to get the paperwork in so I can get my kids home. I am learning a lot from you and I am so grateful that you blog about homeschooling every so often.