Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Scouting

So scouting is something that I could go on about forever.  In the years since Trent started, our relationship has grown.  In addition, for once in his life, he has been successful at something.  As I have mentioned before, Trent has Dyslexia and a lazy eye.  Both are "minor issues" but both have impacted his life in a BIG way.  As such, school is just hard for him.  Karate is great but it is still really hard.  Even with extra practice, he struggles.  Trent is a strong boy who just struggles.  And then along came scouting.  My heart is seriously tender toward the scouting program.  Like all programs, there are issues and the BSA has some things I do not agree with, but I love scouting.  Trent is able to succeed at something.  He is able to work on things that he loves and EARN things in return.  He gets to be "cool" for his 2 minutes of fame at pack meeting.  This program has provided more for him and I than many people can understand.  

Here we are as an extended family doing a hike and working on Trent's hiking belt loop and Leave No Trace award.

 Trent and Dave's cake for Blue and Gold.  Mothers are not allowed to help, so he looked on the internet and Dave and Trent executed the plan.

 100 Years of Scouting.  The picture of Monson pulled at my heart strings.

 My happy boy
 He earned his Bear Badge at this pack meeting.
 And here he is earning his Religious Square Knot presented by our sweet Bishop Braye.  
I love all sides of scouting- religious, character building, and man traits.  I just love it.

0 comments: