Sunday, June 15, 2008

Book Reviews

Well it is time for me to write in about the books I have been reading again. Since Dave has been home, I haven't read as much as I normally do, but I am still writing. Okay so here it goes

Firefly Lane- by Kristin Hannah
Firefly Lane tells the story of two girls who don't belong together and break through a lifetime friendship. They have dreams of working together and grow up to do very different things. But they are still best friends. The book spans 3 decades of their parallel lives and friends.

I would say this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. This is the first book I have read by Hannah, and I can't wait to pick up another one. I LOVED the book and felt so much like the main character. This should be number one the next time you pick up a book.

The Host- By Stephanie Meyer
Stephanie Meyer takes a chance and breaks out of her vampire series with Bella and Edmond. Instead, she goes into the world of Wanda and Jacob. The book is about a world that has been taken over by bugs that live inside humans. It was thought that there were few humans left when Wanda (a bug) discovers that her host has ties to a community. The book addresses an ability to live in both worlds.

I really liked the novel however I was COMPLETELY confused for several chapters. She really just jumps right in and you are left to figure everything out. I think a prequel would help. But, the book over all was good. It had some funny times, definate tear times, and skillful writing times. I really enjoyed reading it and found myself completely invested in the lives of the main characters (a skill of Stephanie Meyer). Next time you are at the library, this is a definate rent.

7th Heaven- by James Patterson
Okay, so this is the 7th book in his Women's Murder Club book that follows 4 female characters and how they collaborate to catch a killer. These four women have been through everything together. This time, they are looking into the murder of a famous boy and a string of arson cases that hit a little too close to home.

When it comes to the writing of this novel and the story, I liked this book. However, as it relates to the progress of the characters, I was a little disappointed. It felt like watching a TV show where the characters made so much progress in their personal lives (book 6) and then suddenly for ratings sake, the networks asks the writers to stall and draw it out a little more. If you have read the previous books, this is one you should check out, but if not, I would skip this one at your next library visit.

Sunday at Tiffany's- James Patterson
Tiffany is a sucessful business women who is still doing everything her mother tells her to do and it is still not enough. She is completely unhappy when she one day runs into a very old friend. The book follows their friendship and how it has turned into something. As well as the reason the friend has returned.

I LOVED this book. It was very simliar to two others that Patterson has written. I love when he writes love stories because they are simple and sweet. It was definately a girl feel good book but one that has enough substance to keep you interested. This should be near the top of your next library list.

1 comments:

Emy W. said...

LOVED The Host.