Sunday, June 1, 2008

Checkin In

So we made it back from Germany a few days ago. I wanted to post some pictures that I have from our trip and then pictures from this weekend when we flew kites and went to the beach, but for the mean time, I thought I would give everyone an update on Laycee's appointments.

So, her MRI was clean. YEAH for that and now she isn't due for 3-5 years (as long as nothing changes). It was a horrible sedation and she was very mad about it all when she woke up, but thankfully she woke up the next day back to normal whiny Laycee. She currently has one of the 6 criteria needed to diagnos neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF1). You need two to be diagnosed. The doctor said his gut says about age 5 she will develop the second criteria. However, in our research we discovered that between 5 and 7 that generally happens. It is rare to have more than 2 brown birthmarks without having NF, but it does happen. NF is a gene mutation and can be hereditary in about 50% of the cases and just a mutation in the other 50%. There is no genetic testing currently available for it, so as for now, it is just a wait and see thing. In 60% of cases, people go on to lead normal lives, so it is a fairly promising condition at least. I wish I had something more concrete to report, but that is all I have for now.

So, tomorrow I will have great pictures to share and less somber posts!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Just thought I'd let you know I stopped by. I found your blog through Angela's. I love your layout.

Emy W. said...

Oh, good luck with everything! I hope it all works out for the best.

Amanda was really excited that you found my blog... she doesn't have one, but her email is menina826@gmail.com and she would love to hear from you!

Angela said...

I'm glad her MRI was clean. So far so good, huh! Thanks for the update.

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.