Sunday, November 21, 2010

Apple Dumplings

One night I found a delicious looking recipe for Apple Dumplings on one of my very very favorite blogs!
A Year of Slow Cooking
Instead of following the recipe exactly, I looked for a whole wheat crescent recipe at cooks.com
Yes, Haylee is wearing my apron from my flight attendant days at America West, she loved it.
For those of you with food storage, I used the dehydrated apples and rehydrated them for this recipe. Also, I used my wheat grinder to make the wheat flour. The mixture of the two recipes worked like a charm. I chose to cook the dessert right away instead of doing it crockpot style.
The crockpot blog noted that some people felt like the recipe was too sweet, but with the wheat rolls, it was just perfect! Whole wheat sometimes tastes a little bland, but it was just perfect for this recipe. It was the most delicious dessert we have ever had really. I love it and can't wait to make it again!! We have been trying to use some of the wheat that we have so I have also found it to be really good in pumpkin bread and corn bread muffins (for these, I just add a little extra sugar)! I am still looking for new ways to use the wheat, but these are the few "seasonal" things that I have found make great recipes using wheat flour.


0 comments: