Monday, December 6, 2010

Letter A

Well it was finally time to start working with Laycee and Logan at school too. I have finally settled into the schedule that we have created for Haylee and Trent and I can find a few minutes here and there to work with Laycee and Logan. We of course started working with fall colors, reds, yellows and oranges. In addition, I wanted to start working on letter recognition. We are practicing how to recite how they spell their name and we have started on the letter A and B. The first picture is Logan's. His gross motor skills are amazing, but he isn't as good at fine motor skills like writing, drawing and cutting. However, I was so proud of him for the great attempt he makes each day!
This second picture here is Laycee's. She is opposite of Logan and has far better fine motor skills and not as good gross motor skills. Hey, we can't all be perfect right? I love watching Laycee write, color, draw and do most anything with her hands. She is unique among my children because she has not decided on a handedness yet. Dave is mixed handed, he uses his left for most things, but he uses his right for other things. Laycee is similar. She uses her left for most of her daily activities, however, she uses both hands while writing, drawing and coloring. It is fascinating to me to watch this process develop. I am anxious to see what she finally decides on or if she remains mixed handed.
The brain absolutely fascinates me and in toddlers/preschoolers it is just amazing to watch as the brain unfolds. There was a time when we wondered if Laycee's brain would ever work right after the trama she suffered. But with the help of so many, I am so lucky to watch as her brain unfolds and develops, not "typically" but in her own way. I am doubly blessed to have the experience to watch the brains of twins develop because they are so unique and different. And now that I am homeschooling the older kids, I get to see even more how the brain works in older children. I love the stage that Haylee and Trent have just entered where they have started to understand the hidden meanings behind words and phrases. The stage where they have begun to spell whole sentances. And for Haylee, the stage where the foundation skills are blossoming into complex thinking. Who would have thought so much would have come from the simple task of teaching the letter A?





1 comments:

Evan and Jamie said...

Hey Lexi! We miss you guys so much! We are doing preschool with Chase too and I thought you might like the sight I've been using. It's confessionsofahomeschooler.com
She has an AMAZING letter of the week curriculum! Chase LOVES it and has made tons of progress! Just thought I'd share! Have a Merry Christmas!