Friday, November 11, 2011

New Accessory

Trent now wears glasses!  This came as a surprise to all of us.  I have recently searched out some help for some of his struggles in school.  They have been struggles for him for years, but continuously had teachers tell me it was "normal".  Well a few weeks after school started, I realized that something just was not normal anymore.  So I was seeking some help, and the company I went to said they needed an eye and hearing exam to start some testing on Trent.  So, I went back to the school who then informed me Trent has not passed his eye or hearing exam!  They would rescreen him in 6 weeks.  I did not have 6 weeks to wait.  Thankfully we have insurance and I took him back to the ENT (since he has had his tonsils out, this is not a first visit for us) and to the eye dr.  His ears were ok.  To our surprise, we learned that Trents left eye never developed eye sight.  I didn't even know!  The dr told us that most of the time unless the eye is physically lazy, you would never know the child has a lazy eye.  So for 8 years, he could not see out of his left eye.  Anyway, so we got him some glasses and will follow up in 6 weeks to see if he is responding to them.  There is hope they can restore sight to that eye but he will never have 20/20 vision.  I was then surprised to learn that you can live a whole life with just one eye.  We also learned that this should not be affecting his school work, so we are going forward with some testing.  I am so proud of Trent.  He never complains about wearing glasses and he acts as if he has had them forever.  He seems to really love them.  I actually cannot remember what he looked like without them anymore, they appear as though they have always belonged on his face!   Its been a fun and different adventure for us.  I will keep you all updated on the future of glasses and his testing.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! Emma has a lazy eye, that is what brought us to take her to the doc. It was so fun to see Emma after she got her first pair of glasses, she came out of the office looking at things like it was her first time. She had her prescription strengthened this week and she came out of the office with her new glasses on looking at everything like she got her first pair again. She said that everything was so clear, before it was so bumpy.
I hope his eye takes to the glasses well.
And, good luck with the testing, we are doing the same thing with David. ;)

The Jones's said...

Wow, that is amazing! I am amazed that a child would never say that he couldn't see out of one of his eyes, but he probably thought it was normal, not ever having seen from that eye. Still, it's rather incredible. Hope you can find out what the other problems, if there are any, are and work on them. We didn't know my brother had ADHD or Dyslexia until later on in life, and I'm glad that I know the warning symptoms and will get my children tested if they show the signs. Hope the pregnancy is still going well. :) We will soon have our little men here. I can't wait!