Thursday, April 28, 2011

Leaving in a caravan

So, in early April, we left Washington. It was bittersweet for me to leave behind the military and all of our life. Dave was more then happy and ready. He feels like the Army had nothing more to offer him. They already paid for his bachelors and masters degree (well he has one more class to complete). They gave him some valuable training and experience. So, he could see no more reason to stay with them.


We were heading back home and we haven't been home in years. On top of that, we were moving again knowing Dave won't be with us. And not to complain, but we were leaving behind beautiful grass and amazing trees for... the HOT, DRY desert. But, we are ready for the change. I am so ready to give up some of the military ways that are so engrained in us now. But I will miss military wards. There is nothing quite like going to church with other military families. So, I took one last picture to remind us of our last duty station.


After many months of stress and fighting this decision, I am genuinely excited. I was holding out hope that at the very last second Dave would change his mind about the Army. I also hoped that he would find a stateside job. After many nights of crying about the choices ahead of us, I decided that I needed to just listen to the Lord and do His will. One night for scripture study, we were running late and I just opened the scriptures to D&C 68 I believe and chose a random verse. It said that the Lord has many blessings, but because of fear, the early saints were not able to receive them. That verse spoke right to my heart. I was afraid to make some HARD choices and in turn was potentially sacrificing great blessings!


So, we packed up the van and the Tuscan and two luggage carriers on top. We loaded the kids and my brother in law in the car and headed on our next journey in life. Thankfully we had some fun planned along the way!


I feel at peace with Dave heading to Iraq (not that I don't fully expect many sad days) but I know that the Lord is by my side. I feel so happy to be coming home and I feel even more blessed that we are buying our first home in a great location. It has been amazing to watch as the Lord has unfolded His plan as He promised me He would over and over.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

The military becomes such a large part of your life it seems hard to remember ever living a normal civilian life. I am glad to hear Dave has accomplished so much, and is ready for the next step. Best of luck to you guys!

Jenny said...

Very well written. I hope this next year goes by quickly for you. Big changes can be so hard sometimes, but I am sure you have lots of blessings awaiting you.

Evan and Jamie said...

Hey Lexi,
I've been wondering what you guys decided to do! I've been thinking/praying about you a lot. How long is Dave in Iraq for? Miss you guys and hope you find a great home!!