Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kirtland, OH

I have to admit, this day of our trip was one of my absolute favorites.  I love learning and museums and such.  So this was great!  We went to the historic area of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Kirtland, OH.  It was so fun to see where the early church members lived and what they did to work toward building a temple.  This is Whitney's store and home.





This is the lumber mill where they were able to build the products for the temple.  Interestingly, the temple is up the hill.  I cannot imagine how they transported products from here up the hill!


The Kirtland Temple.  It is owned by the Community of Christ church formerly known as the RLDS church.  They changed their name a few years ago.  It was interesting to tour the temple.  Not the same as going to see the other sites, but still neat.

There were so many other sites I would LOVE to go see, but we were on a time schedule and had already spent more time in Kirland than expected.  Across the freeway was a National Historic Site at which I begged my parents to stop.  I really wanted to try and get one stamp in my National Parks Passport while we were in the midwest and this one was really close.  So we headed over to the James A. Garfield site.  We were ready to get on the road, so we didn't tour the place, but I got my stamp and we took a few pictures.


We had planned on going to Cedar Point this evening, but we were all completely exhausted.  Pretty much to the extreme!  So, we stopped on the way to our next hotel and got some Dairy Queen to get us going again.  Then continued our trip toward the Cleveland area where we had a hotel waiting.
We arrived much later than originally planned, so we were all glad that we didn't have to muster the energy for an amuesment park.  Instead, the kids went swimming at the pool while mom and I worked on some more laundry.  We went out for dinner, not fast food thankfully and stopped at Walmart to pick up a few things we needed.  We repacked up and were ready to head out in the morning towards Grandmas House!!

0 comments: