Saturday, October 1, 2011

Nauvoo Pageant

So here we are.. the evening of Day 2 of our trip.  We have already had some jam packed fun.  Flew in to Indianapolis.  Drove a few hours.  Stayed the night and headed to Carthage and then on to Nauvoo.  When we were looking online for things to do in Nauvoo, I noticed that it was the month of the Nauvoo Pageant!  They also had a "fair" ahead of time.  I could not wait to take the children.  It was a so fun and incredibly hot.  I did not think it could get hotter than Arizona.  But, I think feeling like you are in a constant shower of sweat is almost worse.  So, when we pulled up, there was a band waiting to meet us.


 The girls learned a pioneer dance.  For each activity in which they participated, they collected a bead to make a necklace.
 They learned to walk on... stilts?  Not really sure what htese are called, but they had fun.



 They played with more sticks.  Again, I cannot remember what these are called, but I remember them being slightly popular when I was about I donno 15 ish.  It was fun to watch the children try to figure out how to throw and catch them.
 What are old school games without tug-a-war.  Well apparently it is not a common game anymore.  I had to explain how to play to the kids and they watched a round first.  See them lined up pulling with all of their might?!  Nana helped, thank goodness.
 They used two strings and moved the string alternately up and down to cause a bear to crawl to the top.  Trent won!!
 Wouldn't be pioneer without handcarts.  Nana and Grandpa did their duty while the kids relaxed in the back.  There was no way I was getting my pregnant belly behind one of those things!

 Then we watched the play about the early days in Nauvoo. 
Let me tell you, we were exhausted, and hot, and sweaty and tired.  But, this was such an event.  I was a little disappointed we didn't get to tour more of Nauvoo, but now I have the motivation to go back someday.  We were able to participate in some much needed outdoor fun though.  We spent the first day on an airplane from like 1-9 and then 3 mroe hours in the car.  The next day we spent another 6 hours in the car.  So we were ready to get out and play some.  I was so glad we were able to attend this event!

0 comments: